In yesterday's article, I noted that Jason Zweig had called into question the validity of data used in Jeremy Siegel's book "Stocks for the Long Run". Given the recent market declines and credibility questions, has Mr. Siegel abandoned his long-held beliefs in "buy-and-hold" and "stocks for the long run?"
To the contrary, Mr. Siegel in a recent MSN Money article was very adamant about his position. Below are some of the relevant points he made:
- Over the 10 years that ended in May, stocks have returned a dismal -1.7% per year
- There have been other 10-year periods during which stocks have recorded even bigger losses
- Stocks are still the best long-term investments
- Over periods of 20 years or longer, stocks have never lost money, even after inflation
- After reaching such a low, stocks' average return for the next five years has been almost 9.5% annually after inflation
- Research has shown that investors would have done better if they had tilted their portfolios toward value stocks
- Dividend-weighted indexes have outperformed value indexes over the past 10, 20 and 30 years
Automatic Data Processing Inc. (ADP) - Analysis
Automatic Data Processing Inc. is one of the world's largest independent computing services companies, provides a broad range of data processing services.
- Buy Price: $40.86
- Recent Price: $35.11
Dover Corp. manufactures a broad range of specialized industrial products and sophisticated manufacturing equipment.
- Buy Price: $37.06
- Recent Price: $33.25
Emerson Electric Co. primarily makes backup power equipment for telecom and Internet providers and users, climate control components, and electric motors.
- Buy Price: $38.34
- Recent Price: $33.20
Johnson & Johnson engages in the manufacture and sale of various products in the health care field worldwide.
- Buy Price: $62.17
- Recent Price: $58.96
United Technologies Corp. is an aerospace-industrial conglomerate with a portfolio including Pratt & Whitney jet engines, Sikorsky helicopters, Otis elevators and Carrier air conditioners, among other products.
- Buy Price: $73.14
- Recent Price: $53.75
Full Disclosure: Long EMR, JNJ, UTX. See a list of all my income holdings here.
Tags: [ADP] [DOV] [EMR] [JNJ] [UTX]