recognized list of dividend stocks. The Dividend Aristocrats index is designed to measure the performance of S&P 500 constituents that have followed a policy of consistently increasing dividends every year for at least 25 consecutive years. This index is a member of the S&P Dividend Aristocrats index series.
Dividend Aristocrats constituents exhibit the following characteristics:
- Underlying Indices – S&P 500
- Weighting – Equally weighted; Constituents re-weighted quarterly
- Reconstitution – Reviewed annually in December
Among others, Dividend Aristocrats include these highly recognizable names, with years of consecutive dividend increases shown:
- 3M Co. (MMM) - 53 years
- Abbott Laboratories (ABT) - 39 years
- Clorox Co (CLX) - 36 years
- Coca-Cola Co (KO) - 49 years
- Exxon (XOM) - 29 years
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) - 49 years
- McDonald’s Corp (MCD) - 35 years
- Procter & Gamble (PG) - 55 years
- Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) - 37 years
Members may be deleted during the December rebalance if calendar-year dividends did not increase from the previous year, or intra-year if the stock is removed from the underlying S&P 500. For the first time this year, only regular dividend payments will be considered when determining the calendar year total dividend payments of a company. Special cash dividends are ignored for eligibility purposes on a historical and ongoing basis.
On December 1st, S&P announced changes to the Dividend Aristocrats Index. Standard & Poor’s will perform the annual reconstitution of the S&P 500 Dividend Aristocrats Index after the close of trading on Friday, December 16, 2011.
The following stocks will be added to the Dividend Aristocrats:
- AT&T Inc. (T) | Yield: 6.0%
- HCP Inc. (HCP) | Yield: 4.9%
- Sysco Corp. (SYY) | Yield: 3.8%
- Nucor Corp. (NUE) | Yield: 3.7%
- Illinois Tool Works Inc. (ITW) | Yield: 3.1%
- Genuine Parts Co. (GPC) | Yield: 3.1%
- Medtronic Inc. (MDT) | Yield: 2.7%
- Colgate-Palmolive Co. (CL) | Yield: 2.6%
- T Rowe Price Group Inc. (TROW) | Yield: 2.3%
- Franklin Resources Inc. (BEN) | Yield: 1.1%
After failing to increase its dividend, the following stock will be dropped from the Dividend Aristocrats:
- CenturyLink Inc. (CTL) | Yield: 8.2%
It is good to see that only one stock fell off the list this year after losing 3 in 2010. This year's list, with a net increase of 9 companies, is in stark contrast to the 2009 list with a net decrease of 8 companies. During good times it is easy for companies to increase dividends, and many companies are added to the index. It is during times of adversity that we learn who the real aristocrats are.
Full Disclosure: Long MMM, ABT, CLX, KO, JNJ, MCD, PG, WMT, T, HCP, SYY, NUE, ITW, GPC, MDT, CL, CTL. See a list of all my dividend growth holdings here.
- Will ETFs Be The End Of Traditional Mutual Funds?
- Low-Debt Dividend Stocks
- Who is Raul Alvarez and Why Should We Listen to Him?
- Early Warning Signs of a Dividend Cut
- Will Housing Lead Us Out Of The Recession?
Tags: [MMM] [ABT] [CLX] [KO] [XOM] [JNJ] [MCD] [PG] [WMT] [T] [HCP] [SYY] [NUE] [ITW] [GPC] [MDT] [CL] [TROW] [BEN] [CTL]
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
In an utopian world, the perfect dividend stock would be one that is both high-yield and provide a high dividend growth rate. Its share pri...
Dividend sustainability is paramount for the high-yield investor. Having a stock cut its dividend could potentially crush their income. A hi...
Linked here is a detailed quantitative analysis of Apple Inc. (AAPL). Below are some highlights from the above linked analysis: Company D...
As mentioned in previous articles, I love inspirational (and other) quotes . I see quotes as a portal to someone’s inner self. They reveal m...
Linked here is a detailed quantitative analysis of The Clorox Company (CLX). Below are some highlights from the above linked analysis: Co...
Each weekend I highlight any notable articles that I came across over the past week. Though I may not always agree with each of the articles...
Charlie Munger, Warren Buffett's friend and partner, is quite an investor in his own right. Munger is vice chairman of Berkshire Hathawa...
Presented below are are my Dividend Growth Stocks portfolio holdings. This is not a recommendation to buy these securities. I have classifi...
I couldn't begin to estimate how many different stocks are traded around the world on the various exchanges. Like everything else, there...
Linked here is a detailed quantitative analysis of Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM). Below are some highlights from the above linked an...